Eight thousand people have lost their lives since the conflict began in Eastern Ukraine, said the special Rapporteur of the United Nations on the issues of extrajudicial and arbitrary executions Christof Hines at a press conference on Wednesday.
The Ukrainian authorities in April last year began military action against the self-proclaimed LNR and DND. The settlement of the situation in the Donbass is discussed, as well as among them, during meetings in Minsk contact group, which since September of last year already took 3 of the document governing the steps to de-escalate the conflict.
"Eight thousand people lost their lives, according to the monitoring mission, a vast majority of them civilians. Most of these deaths from the bombing, despite the fact that There are accusations that the shelling are common on both sides and fired areas where many civilians. There is concern that the majority place their military equipment, artillery, in places where citizens live, This leads to a large number of deaths, " said Hines.
in addition, he emphasized the inadmissibility of absence in the conflict area of the system of military interaction with the local civilian population." It's bound to lead to reduced mortality, but there is no such system, " drew the attention of the UN special Rapporteur.