The process of withdrawal of heavy weapons in the Donbas is "in the right direction" and must be completed soon, said Wednesday the head of the Special monitoring mission (SMM) of the OSCE to Ukraine Ambassador Ertugrul Apakan.
"The parties have begun the removal of weapons initially in Lugansk, then in Donetsk, and the Process goes on. But we haven't finished the job. Weapons of all calibers continue to be used, and the situation remains unstable, " said Apakan at a press conference after a regular report to the Permanent Council of the OSCE.
"The process of withdrawing is going in the right direction and is bound to end soon," - said Apakan." It's not perfect, But moving in the right direction. Tranquility on the line of contact will be an important step towards peace, " He added.
The Ukrainian authorities in April of last year began military action against the self-proclaimed LNR and DND. According to the final data of the UN, the victims of the conflict began more than 8 thousand people. The settlement of the situation in the Donbass is discussed as well as among them during the meeting in Minsk contact group, which Since September of last year had already taken 3 of the document, regulating the steps to de-escalate the conflict.
From 1 September in the Donbass entered into force another truce, both Parties and observers state that it is observed. At the end of September was signed the agreement about the withdrawal of weapons with a caliber of not more than 100 millimeters and tanks from the frontline. This Process takes place in 2 stages (first, Lugansk, then Donetsk region).