At least 65 of migrants killed from a shipwreck in the Mediterranean last week. Officials fear the death toll may exceed 700. Most of the victims were on three of the ill-fated boat.
About 100 people were missing Sunday after a boat capsized, said said Federico Fossi, a spokesman for the refugee Agency of the UN. 5 people were killed and more than 560 have survived. On Thursday, another boat capsized. Of 670 on Board, 15 people were killed, 104 survived, 550 remain missing, said Fossey. And on Friday, another migrant boat sank in the Mediterranean sea. It is not clear how many people were on Board, but at least 45 people were killed.
Fosse said that the majority of migrants were from Somalia, Eritrea and Sudan. Many are fleeing to avoid al-Shabaab and clan wars, according to the Agency for refugees. At least 1,475 migrants died this year, according to the International organization for migration.
But the situation could be much worse. More than 14 thousand migrants were rescued from the Mediterranean last week, according to the Italian Navy, coast guard and the interior Ministry.
Despite the dangers, migrants will probably not stop soon. Only 5 months of this year, more than 194.600 migrants fled to Europe. This is two times more than the number of migrants who fled in 2015.
And even if they survive the dangerous journey to Europe, many migrants are faced with the unknown.
Greece, for example, began moving more than 8,000 migrants from congested transit camp on the border with Macedonia - the country has closed its side of the border to stifle the flow of migrants. Press Secretary of the government of Greece said that the new facilities can accommodate 6,000 people. But what happens to those migrants - and almost 200 of the thousands of others who fled to Europe this year - remains unclear.
sections: Accidents, World News, Accidents