Yahoo reveals a new gap in system security in the environment that could affect more than 1 billion accounts. The violation dates back to 2013, and is not associated with the incident, which occurred in September.
Yahoo currently believes that an "unauthorized third party" stole user data of more than one billion accounts in August 2013, this data may include names, email addresses and passwords, but not financial information. The company notified users that may be affected and began to require users to change their passwords.
it became one of the biggest violations in the field of cybersecurity. Less than 3 months after the incident, Yahoo has acknowledged that the data at least 500 million accounts was stolen. This violation is likely not related to the recently disclosed breach, according to the company. "We believe that this incident is likely different from the incident opened 22 Sep 2016", says Bob Lord, chief information security officer at Yahoo, in a blog post.
The second violation of cyber security raises concerns about whether Yahoo has taken sufficient precautions. As one former employee after the first violation, "the Security was put on the back burner" for "other priorities". The original violation was considered as a threat to deal with Verizon, which wanted to buy Yahoo.
CEO of AOL Tim Armstrong said earlier this month that he hoped that the deal would go - but the second mass violation may change this situation. Shares of Yahoo fell 2.5% in after-hours trading on Wednesday.
sections: World News, Economics, Accidents