Australian authorities announced that the girl during the flight from Beijing to Melbourne caught fire headphones. The girl received injuries to the hands and face.
The girl dozed and listened to music about two hours into the trip when the fire occurred. "When I woke up, I felt a burning sensation on the face," she said of the Australian Bureau of transport security (ATSB), which on Wednesday delivered a warning to other passengers.
The girl who was not named, said that she tore off the headphones and threw them on the floor where they sparked and melted. Flight attendants doused headphones glass of water. "They put them in a bucket in the back of the plane," she said. "People were coughing and gasping for breath all the way home," said the passenger in the ATSB, adding that the cabin smelled of melted plastic and burned hair.
Peter Gibson, communications Manager of the Australian Department of civil aviation, told CNN that they will investigate the incident. In a statement, the ATSB said that, most likely, fired up the battery in the headphones, not the headphones.
However, the representative will not disclose which battery or headphones were involved. He said that the incident occurred on February 19.
Gibson said that lithium batteries are often the cause of fires on Board aircraft. He advised travellers to carry a spare battery in a separate plastic bag in your hand Luggage.
Last year the us government banned the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 after its lithium battery spontaneously ignited. The ban applies to shipping phone by air freight.
Samsung was accused of faulty lithium-ion batteries, which, as mentioned, overheat and causes the device to illuminate. Attempts to resolve the problem failed, and subsequently, Samsung has finally stopped production.
sections: Accidents, World News, Accidents