Philippines will not break his military Alliance with the United States, President Rodrigo Duterte said Wednesday. He also said that there will be no joint military exercises with the United States "next year", abandoning previous statements where he insisted on carrying out exercises with long-time allies.
"I told the defense Minister to do preparation for next year. I don't want more. I will pursue an independent foreign policy," he said, according to the state news Agency of the Palestinian authority. However, he also said that the existing agreements were required, as they provide the "umbrella". "We will maintain our military Alliance because ... they say we need it for our defense," he said in his speech in Manila.
Earlier this month, the President caused a diplomatic stir by threatening to break relations with the United States and by sending President Barack Obama a "hell." He also said that he was ready to break off relations with the United States in favor of Russia and China. The comments came after the US and Philippines began joint military exercises. Duterte said that they will be the last.
In turn, the U.S. has repeatedly expressed concern about murders related to drugs in the administration of Duterte. "The increase in the number of murders during the enhanced campaign against drug harms the image of the country",- said the American chamber of Commerce of the Philippines in September.
sections: Politics, World News, Accidents