More than 50 thousand people were evacuated from the city in southern Germany for Christmas for a 1.8-ton bomb that was found there. The bomb was discovered last week in Munich, during construction works in the underground car Park.
The evacuation zone more than a mile (1.5 km) radius was declared on December 25. Residents said they fled their homes not later than 10 o'clock in the morning. Evacuation centers were established in local schools and gymnasiums. Just after 7 p.m., city officials announced that the bomb was successfully defused and the evacuation was completed. The photos showed the mayor of Augsburg, Kurt Grimly. "The bomb is disarmed. - These brave people are true heroes of this historic day," said Grebl on his Twitter page.
The city also confirmed in his statement that the bomb was a British one that was dropped on the city during the Second world war. The authorities had earlier decided to discharge the device before Christmas, but there was no immediate danger from the bomb.
More than 70 years after the Second world war, unexploded bombs continue to find throughout Europe. In August 2015 the bomb, weighing 25 kg was discovered at a construction site in East London, was evacuated while the bomb was defused. A year earlier, in January 2014, a bulldozer hit an unexploded bomb in Euskirchen, Germany, killing one person and injuring others.
sections: Accidents, World News