In the southern Philippines militants beheaded a German, after the deadline for paying the ransom has passed.
Philippine and German officials confirmed that 70-year-old Jurgen Kantner was killed after being held hostage for 3 months in Islamist groups. It was the second time the 70-year-old Kantner was kidnapped. He was held hostage along with his partner, Sabine Merz Somali pirates for nearly two months in 2008.
Terrorist group "Abu Sayyaf" has posted video of militants who killed a man with a hooked blade. The video was circulated by the site Intelligence Group. "The Federal Chancellor condemns the heinous act that once again shows how inhumane these terrorists. We all need to stand together and fight against them," said the press Secretary of German Chancellor Angela Merkel Steffen Seibert.
Philippine Secretary Jesus Dureza, the Presidential peace adviser, said that the government strongly condemned "the barbaric beheading of another kidnapped victim." "Until the last moment, in many sectors, including the armed forces of the Philippines, having exhausted all efforts to save a life. We've all tried our best. But to no avail," he said in a text message to CNN.
The group has demanded 30 million Philippine pesos ($ 600 000) in exchange for the release of Kantner, setting a deadline of February 26. "Abu Sayyaf" was announced in November last year that they took Kantner and his partner in waters of the state of Malaysia. The merc was shot and killed by the militants soon after.
In September, "Abu Sayyaf" was released by the Norwegian prisoner, he was in captivity for almost a year, according to CNN Philippines.
Philippines is predominantly a Catholic country, but the South has a large Muslim settlement. The stated goal of "Abu Sayyaf" is the creation of an independent Islamic state on the southern island of Mindanao.
sections: Politics, World News, Accidents, Accidents